My propane fired oven build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My propane fired oven build

I am in the process of building a 4x4x8 oven. I decided to be different and use propane for heat instead of electric. I will be using a 55,000 btu MR.Heater forced air heater. I will be controlling the heater with a Auber pid. I am using Roxul AFB for the insulation. Framing is 25ga steel studs and I am using 18ga galvaized for the sheets. I did not want to go that heavy but I got 10 sheets for $185.

Today I got the base all done. I put wheels on the bottom so I move it around easy.

Re: My propane fired oven build

You're off to a good start! Welcome to the forum.

Best of luck.
    Dan
    sigpic

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, and too old to take an ass-whoopin'!

Comment

mmmmmmm new oven

Welcome to the forum and good luck man! That 18 is thick, but wow what a price. I used 20 for the inside of mine and its super nice to work with, that 18 shouldn't be to bad as long as you got a decent air shear

Comment

Nice start! Welcome to the forums. Look forward to seeing more of your build so we can add it to the list of oven threads.

Comment

I got the rest of the oven framed in today. I still need to frame the door.

Comment

Welcome to the forum. Well from what I read using a 20 lb tank it will cost you around a buck fifty per hr to run your oven and a lot less if you go with bigger tanks. But I see maybe one problem and that is the blower speed of the heater? Its going to move a lot of air fast and could blow off your powder plus bring in outside dust and also with as much air volume that it will be moving it will push the heat out of the oven? You might already have a plan for that but thought I would bring it up. Most gas oven built use heaters with out forced air. Like Gas Radiant Heaters like the ones on page 605 in the McMaster book maybe like the 1719K8 type. And the Dayton type like this http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5VD61.

Good luck on your build. Looks great so far.

[quote="bigtoy302"]I am in the process of building a 4x4x8 oven. I decided to be different and use propane for heat instead of electric. I will be using a 55,000 btu MR.Heater forced air heater. I will be controlling the heater with a Auber pid. I am using Roxul AFB for the insulation. Framing is 25ga steel studs and I am using 18ga galvaized for the sheets. I did not want to go that heavy but I got 10 sheets for $185.

Comment

Originally posted by duke 46
              Welcome to the forum. Well from what I read using a 20 lb tank it will cost you around a buck fifty per hr to run your oven and a lot less if you go with bigger tanks. But I see maybe one problem and that is the blower speed of the heater? Its going to move a lot of air fast and could blow off your powder plus bring in outside dust and also with as much air volume that it will be moving it will push the heat out of the oven? You might already have a plan for that but thought I would bring it up. Most gas oven built use heaters with out forced air. Like Gas Radiant Heaters like the ones on page 605 in the McMaster book maybe like the 1719K8 type. And the Dayton type like this http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5VD61.

Good luck on your build. Looks great so far.
              I have a friend that uses this same design on a 8x8x25 with no problems. You just have to vent the extra air out. The heater only moves 300cfm. There is also another member on another board doing the same thing and he says it works great. If it does not work very good I will go electric.

Comment

Looking good and looking familar built one very similar about 2 years ago now. I have had no problems with dust from the blower or the blower moving the powder off.

Comment

I would like to see some ways to set this up. With the government wanting to raise the power prices that would kill some of us with the cost that might be the cheapest way to go for the big ovens. One thing about gas is that it is instant heat and then you just have to wait till the space heats up.
                  The gas heater that I have like that one you have to hold the button down for the gas and then hit the igniter button. It stays on till you cut it off. I guess you have to buy the ones with the built in thermostat and then wire the controller into it?
                  Do have any good links for a build or the blower conversion?

Comment

Originally posted by duke 46
                    I would like to see some ways to set this up. With the government wanting to raise the power prices that would kill some of us with the cost that might be the cheapest way to go for the big ovens. One thing about gas is that it is instant heat and then you just have to wait till the space heats up.
                    The gas heater that I have like that one you have to hold the button down for the gas and then hit the igniter button. It stays on till you cut it off. I guess you have to buy the ones with the built in thermostat and then wire the controller into it?
                    Do have any good links for a build or the blower conversion?
                    I am taking out the push button valve and putting in a 110v solenoid valve in its place. My heater is already electronic ignition so I will wire the valve and ignition/fan to the PID.

Comment

I got the door all done and insulated then sheeted the oven. I still need to make the mini door and wire it up.

Light and Thermocouple wires.

Exhaust side.

Comment

The heater I have like that is the smaller one and you have to mash one in and then hit the lighter to fire it. But with the next size up all you do his push one button so that would make it easier to do for sure. Would like a picture of it installed and the solenoid valve number if you would. And how you wire it in please.

And I will take a piece of cake and some ice cream also

Your oven is looking great. After I got mine I noticed heat coming out from all the sides so I went to Lowe's and bought some of the silver high temp tape and put it over all the out side seams to keep to heat in better and just exhaust out the door seal. They didn't have one that would work inside but it can be ordered but I think out side does the trick good.

I am taking out the push button valve and putting in a 110v solenoid valve in its place. My heater is already electronic ignition so I will wire the valve and ignition/fan to the PID.[/quote]

Comment

Well it is looking very oveny

Could that heater take the heat of the output air being pumped back through it? IE have a tube come out of your out port going to the back of that heater? If it could take the heat, it would save you a ton of energy, and it would keep your shop a lot cooler.

Comment

You are right on that or maybe just some of it would help? His best bet is to use the gas hot water type piping to get ride of excess heat to the out side also. He would be in good shape if he could use natural gas and save a lot on gas also.

Originally posted by nolatodd
                            Well it is looking very oveny

Could that heater take the heat of the output air being pumped back through it? IE have a tube come out of your out port going to the back of that heater? If it could take the heat, it would save you a ton of energy, and it would keep your shop a lot cooler.

Comment

Looking good I am using the larger heater then that 55,000-125,000BTU. I will be watching the thread to see how you go about wiring it up I am tired of babysitting my oven to keep it at temp.

Comment

Working...
                              X