masking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• masking

If i had a design that i wanted to use as a mask. How would i get it to stick to the part? Is there some kind of glue i could get thats like the sticky side of high temp masking tape? I would want to remove the mask before full cure and not have it leave any residue I have material that will withstand the heat Just need to get it to stick to the part like tape. Thanks

Re: masking

Originally posted by halfbaked
    If i had a design that i wanted to use as a mask. How would i get it to stick to the part? Is there some kind of glue i could get thats like the sticky side of high temp masking tape? I would want to remove the mask before full cure and not have it leave any residue I have material that will withstand the heat Just need to get it to stick to the part like tape. Thanks
    thats a good question. PBTP has some that you can buy and you can get sized for what you need, if so and you have a design maybe they can make it for you. I do know there are some here on the board that can make there own. If PBTP can do it, that would be great. I also have a design that I would like to get made.

Comment

Besides masking tape I use vinyl from a vinyl cutter to cut out designs and the stick it to the part before spraying and pull at flowout.

Comment

wow...check out this toy

http://www.kobisonline.com/Roland-SV8-V ... p_12.html#

I had never heard of a vinyl cutter...that is SOOO cool. you could do some awesome stuff with that. So that sheet vinyl will hold up to the flowout temp eh? then i assume its garbage?

Comment

Originally posted by nolatodd
          wow...check out this toy

http://www.kobisonline.com/Roland-SV8-V ... p_12.html#

I had never heard of a vinyl cutter...that is SOOO cool. you could do some awesome stuff with that. So that sheet vinyl will hold up to the flowout temp eh? then i assume its garbage?
          Yes, vinyl cutters have been around for a while. Seems like the prices are down some too. And yes, the hi-temp masking will take the heat and is a one shot deal.

Comment

My thoughts are, how often it would actually be used. In my case, I've not had a call for any special designs. But then I haven't had a reason to advertise it. My question to you that have one, has it been worth the expense and effort to get one? I've thought about it a couple of times, just haven't made the move yet.

Comment

Originally posted by JTW37
              My thoughts are, how often it would actually be used. In my case, I've not had a call for any special designs. But then I haven't had a reason to advertise it. My question to you that have one, has it been worth the expense and effort to get one? I've thought about it a couple of times, just haven't made the move yet.
              Good question. I think I have an answer that can be applied to just about any upgrade (short of an air compressor) that is being considered................

Save the investment for when you actually get a job in the door that requires the need for a "bigger this" or "fancy new that", then grow your business into the work you took on. It would be the rare occasion when I'd turn down work because I didn't have the tools to do it (short of an oven big enuff to coat an aircraft carrier).

This is a whole lot easier than doing it the other way where you make an upgrade, and then try to scrounge new work to pay for it.

You'd be surprised too, that once you do that first BNG (that's Bold New Graphics for you non-moto-x types), you'll be doing a bunch of them. Word gets around pretty quick when you've got the new toy on the block

Comment

Ive had bad luck with every kind of tape leaving small ridges on the oposing side of the powder edge i was trying to make. It drives me crazy, even MEK won't take it off. The only way to get rid of it is to clear it.

If you are gonna go that far you may as well invest in a CNC plasma cutter. then you can cut your designs and powder coat them (think lawn ornaments). At least that one would be worth your while and pay for itself much faster imho.

Comment

Originally posted by JTW37
                  Besides doing custom masking I also use mine to make masking for different things. Like the lower legs I did I made the dots to cover the caliper mounting holes and such. You can also make stickers of your company logos for handouts or to through in a box with your customers parts. I PC bottles and I think I'm going to make decals for them, Harley-Davidson or someones favorite sports team. Theres lots you can do with a vinyl cutter.

Comment

IMHO, it is well worth the $....here is just a couple of the things we have done and like Harley said it just takes a couple of seconds to make custom dots using a mic to get exactly the size (with or without overlap) that you need plus I use my scrap pieces for the dots so I dont have much waste.

The red color on the tank is lollypop red ........just happened to be using red vinyl also:

Comment

One thing I might add is by the time you pay a sign shop for several large size logo's/lettering for your buisness name on vehicles/signs/banners you could of paid for a cutter with that money so long term I belive it is a wise investment.

Comment

Originally posted by slowdrive
                        One thing I might add is by the time you pay a sign shop for several large size logo's/lettering for your buisness name on vehicles/signs/banners you could of paid for a cutter with that money so long term I belive it is a wise investment.
                        Great point!! I also use my scraps the same as you.

Comment

slowdrive that work is BEAUTIFUL!!! I am going to have to get 1 of those.

I have asked a couple of times and no one seems to want to say...how did you get that fade? is that done pre or post bake...someone be nice and at least give me a hint

Comment

Hey, I'm sold. I guess when you know and consider all that you can do with it, it's a good investment. A CNC would be nice, but right now I'm just a piker. Looks like I may be getting my first Jap bike soon, so who knows, what that job will bring. I seem to be having a sizable influx of work lately.

Comment

Nice stuff polert. Will that software work with a LXI Vinyl Express plotter?

I did the ghost flame on this cover with mine.
                              [attachment=0hryr8e0]IMG_0230 [].JPG[/attachmenthryr8e0]

Comment

Working...
                              X