Aluminum bottles.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aluminum bottles.....

ok...Im gonna jump on the aluminum beer bottle band wagon! For those of you doing them...how are you prepping them?

Re: Aluminum bottles.....

Chemical strip (aircraft or cybersolve) that removes about 90% of the stuff on there. Then just blast them like any other part.

I got off to a slow start with these and was only able to do about 1 every 10 minutes. Now I can get a dozen of them done in that amount of time. Just do a few at a time and leave them ready to shoot, that way every time you shoot a new color you can just grab one.

Comment

ok thanks! Im looking forward to the emptying part

Comment

Most of the time the bottle doesnt even need blasting , when stripped they have a brushed aluminum finish and can be shot just like that. I doubt the adhesion issue will be of concern on an item that sits on a shelf for display. I dip my bottles in the B17 for 30secs to a minute, then rinse and it ready to coat. Here is a Miller Chill bottle straight out of the stripper and rinse.

Comment

What's b17? What are the different ways you guys are using to hang them?

Comment

Originally posted by Brune292
            Shove a hook through the top and hang them like xmas ornaments...

Comment

I just use a hanging wire with a bend in it about 3/4"at about a 45 degree angle, you may need to play with the length and angle til you get it right. Then just feed the wire in til it clears the neck and then pull it straight out til it wedges itself in the neck, then just hang it and shoot.
              B17 is a chemical stripper from Benco Chemicals, you can order it from CC or direct from Benco, CC just sends the order to Benco and Benco delivers it to you, no upcharge on CCs end. It is very cheap, about $125 shipped for 5 gallons. $65 for the B17, $25 hazmat fee and about $35 shipping depending on where you are from.Its around $325 for 30 gallons and they will truck it to you for free with no hazmat fee, bringing the price down even more per gallon. This stuff is very hazardous if you dont play by the rules ,but nothing ,and I mean NOTHING will strip faster or work better. Unlike Desolve 1012 where you have to remove(strain) the old p/c out or it keeps working til the solvent is dead, you can just leave the stripped p/c in the bucket and it doesn't do anything. You need neoprene gloves and you dont want to breathe it. It will strip a Bud bottle in 30 seconds and most other parts with p/c on them in 10 minutes.

Comment

Originally posted by o1racing03
                I just use a hanging wire with a bend in it about 3/4"at about a 45 degree angle, you may need to play with the length and angle til you get it right. Then just feed the wire in til it clears the neck and then pull it straight out til it wedges itself in the neck, then just hang it and shoot.
                B17 is a chemical stripper from Benco Chemicals, you can order it from CC or direct from Benco, CC just sends the order to Benco and Benco delivers it to you, no upcharge on CCs end. It is very cheap, about $125 shipped for 5 gallons. $65 for the B17, $25 hazmat fee and about $35 shipping depending on where you are from.Its around $325 for 30 gallons and they will truck it to you for free with no hazmat fee, bringing the price down even more per gallon. This stuff is very hazardous if you dont play by the rules ,but nothing ,and I mean NOTHING will strip faster or work better. Unlike Desolve 1012 where you have to remove(strain) the old p/c out or it keeps working til the solvent is dead, you can just leave the stripped p/c in the bucket and it doesn't do anything. You need neoprene gloves and you dont want to breathe it. It will strip a Bud bottle in 30 seconds and most other parts with p/c on them in 10 minutes.
                I use the same method. I had the B17 in a 55gal drum in my garage with plywood on top. CC said that the fumes really stink and that you need to wear a respirator when working with it. After 5 days in the garage I got to where I would notice the smell in when I walked in the door. I didn't get any funny feelings or light headed just that smell. Well a few weeks later I started getting a sore throat. It lasted for 3 weeks. If I didn't work in the garage for a few days it would start getting better, but if I worked on anything that night I would start coughing again. I then moved the B17 outside under a lean to. 5 days latter sore throat gone. This stuff does not hit you all of a sudden. I believe it builds up and starts showing symptoms. Now when I use it I am outside with a good breeze most of the time with the lean to making a kind of wind tunnel with the slightest breeze and have no problems. So keep it outside and use the protective equipment and it will pay for itself very very shortly. I love this stuff.
                Ryan
                http://www.powdercoatingbyryan.com

Comment

Originally posted by pchotrodder
                  Originally posted by o1racing03
                  I use the same method. I had the B17 in a 55gal drum in my garage with plywood on top. CC said that the fumes really stink and that you need to wear a respirator when working with it. After 5 days in the garage I got to where I would notice the smell in when I walked in the door. I didn't get any funny feelings or light headed just that smell. Well a few weeks later I started getting a sore throat. It lasted for 3 weeks. If I didn't work in the garage for a few days it would start getting better, but if I worked on anything that night I would start coughing again. I then moved the B17 outside under a lean to. 5 days latter sore throat gone. This stuff does not hit you all of a sudden. I believe it builds up and starts showing symptoms. Now when I use it I am outside with a good breeze most of the time with the lean to making a kind of wind tunnel with the slightest breeze and have no problems. So keep it outside and use the protective equipment and it will pay for itself very very shortly. I love this stuff.
                  You are playing with dangerous stuff my friend. Im not a safety freak or anything, but I can tell you that this stuff will make you very ill very fast. I use a similar product, and if i work with it for a full day i will end up with a splitting migraine, everything taste/smells funny, burns on my hands/arms, a sore throat, and usually naseus. This chemical needs to be removed from the market. I am a fan of it for what it can do, but there are too many health risk involved. I try to use it as little as possible. Not to mention proper disposal is a must. its a serious chemical and should not be taken lightly. It should never just be washed down a drain, or spilt on the ground or anything of that nature either. The company that does my stripping used to have huge tanks of this stuff, it cost them 3 times the amount to dispose of it as it did to purchase it !!
                  http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...60garfield.jpg

Comment

I'm with ya. I really want something that works fast and all. But this stuff is far to dangerous no matter how you use it.

Im using cybersolve for now. Even that stuff makes me cough, I have to wear a respirator when working with it. It makes my eyes burn like a mofo too.

**Note to self don't breathe while leaning into the 55 gallon barrel.

You only have to do that once.

Comment

Anyone using anything cheaper or different to strip the bottles with??

Comment

Anything cheaper than Aircraft Stripper and blasting media?

Comment

Ok, so that was a dumb question
                          I will try the A/C stripper.

Comment

I drill a very small hole just under the top lip and hang.

Comment

Noting at all. I just clean 'em good with acetone and coat 'em. I've done a couple hundred of them and never had a problem with the label bubbling or anything at all, but for some colors you can sometimes see the label through the powder coat. But for something that's just going to sit on a shelf for display it really doesn't matter.

Comment

Working...
                              X