Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

orange peel problems and ways to fix em?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• orange peel problems and ways to fix em?

Well been coating for a while and it seems like no matter what i do i still get small amounts of orange peel. I just wanted to know common problems the cause it and ways to fix it, maybe people can post their experiences .

Re: orange peel problems and ways to fix em?

Please do a search its been covered at length many many times.

Comment

Just keep in mind that depending on the powder and the shape of the substrate (large flat surfaces are the worst for showing it), almost all powders will show some very slight orange peel. Good news is, you can colorsand and buff just like automotive paint with the right equipment and compounds. The search should give you lots of suggestions based on the type of peel you're seeing. I would venture to say that the biggest reason for orange peel, particularly for those just starting out, is applying the powder too heavy.

Best of luck.
      Dan
      sigpic

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, and too old to take an ass-whoopin'!

Comment

Originally posted by wiseguyz
        Just keep in mind that depending on the powder and the shape of the substrate (large flat surfaces are the worst for showing it), almost all powders will show some very slight orange peel. Good news is, you can colorsand and buff just like automotive paint with the right equipment and compounds. The search should give you lots of suggestions based on the type of peel you're seeing. I would venture to say that the biggest reason for orange peel, particularly for those just starting out, is applying the powder too heavy.

Best of luck.
        Hey Dan what are you buffing yours with?

Comment

I just bought a buffer and the 3 different 3M pads for compounding, buffing, and polishing. Now I need to find the right compounds. I heard the Liquid Ice 3-step system works very well, but I haven't bought any compounds yet, so any suggestions are welcome. Someone at the rodeo suggested a "B4" compound, but not sure what brand that is.
          Dan
          sigpic

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, and too old to take an ass-whoopin'!

Comment

I just bought a buffer and the 3 different 3M pads for compounding, buffing, and polishing. Now I need to find the right compounds. I heard the Liquid Ice 3-step system works very well, but I haven't bought any compounds yet, so any suggestions are welcome. Someone at the rodeo suggested a "B4" compound, but not sure what brand that is.
            Have you tried this? 3M offers great buffing compounds to go along with thier buffing pads. I use this stuff on car paints. Maybe I'll try them out on the powder.
            http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... RKGRPJV4gl

Comment

Originally posted by Harleydad
              Originally posted by hjeades
              Whatever he can find................ :P

Comment

Tech support at powder by the pound had a good suggestion for the orange peels. He said to preheat the oven to cure temp, coat the part, and after putting the part in the oven turn it off for 10 min. Then turn the oven back on and cure. This was to give the powder more time to flow.

Comment

^^^^^ you can also do this by setting the oven temp to flow out temp then jack up to cure temp after flowout has happend.

Comment

Originally posted by hjeades
                    BOTH hands!
                    Dan
                    sigpic

Comment

BOTH hands!

Are bragging, complaining or DREAMING!!?? :P

Comment

Originally posted by BeeBob
                        BOTH hands!

Are bragging, complaining or DREAMING!!?? :P
                        Lotion dreaming!

Comment

sick dude...

Comment

Originally posted by Harleydad
                            Jim Carey in Me, Myself and Irene...............

Comment

3M has a 3 step kit that has the polishes and the pads numbered 1,2,3 and color coded so you cant go wrong, runs about $89-$110. I am working with my friend in the industrial supply business right now trying to get a rice break I can pass on to members here from his 3M supplier. I tried this kit at my friends street rod shop and after sanding with 1500, I was amazed at how easy it was to get a mirror finish with this stuff. Key is an absolute clean environment as any dirt, grit, debris will cause swirl marks requiring more sanding.

Comment

Working...
                              X