is it PBTP or is it me???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• is it PBTP or is it me???

for some reason im getting calls back on a lot of stuff i did!! everything i have done is chipping right off!!

SS headers (not the ones i stated in the other forum), chrome rims, and some small stuff. it seams to me the only thing i can get to stick is my "cheep" flat colors, and when i do aluminum. i bake to what ever PBTP tells me and stuff looks really good. also prep for hours on some stuff. still jus chipps right off like worse than paint does. what could i be doing wrong. i have some more chrome rims to do this week and dont want to mees anymore stuff up...its costing more than what im making!! i do a lot of chrome stuff along with SS things and need to know whats wrong.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Re: is it PBTP or is it me???

emeraldcoatings is right we need your steps start to finish. It sounds like under cure but more details will help.

Comment

ok... depending on the rust, dirt, greese, ext... i degrease the part (if needed) then blast with glass or oxide. if im doing SS for instance, i will do the same but after i will scuff up really good with sandpapper. i set my oven to 600 degrees (because its so big when i open the door about 150-200 degrees come out) and put my product in for what ever time PBTP says on the bag. when i do so my oven is about 450 degrees when i put in. just right. i bake for 10 mins on the dot!! i have 4 walls in my shop with closed doors. no humidity! i remove as soon as 10 or 11 mins is up.

i practice a lot and i can NOT get the powder to come off of regular metal parts i have done...i am only having problems with SS and chrome. i herd chrome is one of the best surfaces to powder because of how smooth it is already.

i dont know, i dont give up easy but i feel like im not getting anywhere with how im doing it. my gun is really cheep, but i dont think that has anything to do with it...or does it?

Comment

most parts are in my oven a minimum 5-20 minutes to get the part up to temp, then start the cure cycle.
        your cure cycle does not start until the item is at the cure temp, then it's 10-15 minutes after that depending on the powders cure cycle.

stainless always need to be blasted IMHO

I don't coat over chrome, as it may bubble, I use a metallic powder as a base for transparents

but thats just how I do it
        Josh

http://www.Streetwerkz.com
        http://www.facebook.com/reqs.php#/pr...00000211105322
        [email protected]

Comment

Yep, Part Metal Temp is your problem here. Your parts are undercured. You start the timer as soon as the part is put into the oven, when in reality it should be started once the part itself reaches 400 (or whatever the instructions tell you the cure temp is for the powder)

Comment

[quote="no name brad"]ok... depending on the rust, dirt, greese, ext... i degrease the part (if needed) then blast with glass or oxide. if im doing SS for instance, i will do the same but after i will scuff up really good with sandpapper. i set my oven to 600 degrees (because its so big when i open the door about 150-200 degrees come out) and put my product in for what ever time PBTP says on the bag. when i do so my oven is about 450 degrees when i put in. just right. i bake for 10 mins on the dot!! quote]

Your curing process is not letting the powder bond to the substrate. You should be setting the oven to 400 degrees and letting the part come up to that temp. Your process is curing the powder to soon. This will work for bare metal substrates due to the fact that they are porous and rough to begin with. Chrome will need time to open the pores and let the powder bond to the substrate. You should be profile blasting the chrome to give the powder something to "bite". If done prperly you can't chisle the chit off! I had a valve cover that sandblasting wouldn't touch and the sample panel could be bent in half with no cracking or chipping.

Adjust your cure schedual and you will be good to go.

just my .02!

Comment

ok... went out and tried with some stuff. cleaned, coated and got the oven up to temp. i did one side with PBTP super black and the other with some cheep ol 4.99 for 20oz flat black powder. i put it in when the oven got to 450. i hit it with a infa thermo, and when it "the part" got to 450 degrees i started my process. i tried 20 min this time and still, orange peel effect and chipping on the gloss side. the flat side looks like pure sweetness!!

Comment

[quote If done prperly you can't chisle the chit off! [/quote]

no joke...thats how my aluminum turns out. you couldent drag it doun the street to get it to come off!!

Comment

Orange peel is created by many factors, too many mils, too little mils, kv's ect. send me your email address and I will send you some information..

Comment

Originally posted by no name brad

no joke...thats how my aluminum turns out. you couldent drag it doun the street to get it to come off!!
                    You cant see orange peel in flat colors, that is why it appears perfect. If there is not shine you cant see the peel.

When you say 20oz flat? are you talking spray can? Liquid paint is easier to get less orange peel, liquid or powder you still cant see the orange peel in the flat colors.
                    http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...60garfield.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by no name brad
                      ok... went out and tried with some stuff. cleaned, coated and got the oven up to temp. i did one side with PBTP super black and the other with some cheep ol 4.99 for 20oz flat black powder. i put it in when the oven got to 450. i hit it with a infa thermo, and when it "the part" got to 450 degrees i started my process. i tried 20 min this time and still, orange peel effect and chipping on the gloss side. the flat side looks like pure sweetness!!

Your temp is to high and the cure length to long. 400 degrees for 15 minutes. if you waited until the part got to 450 degrees the curing process was completed, most likely, by the time PMT was 450 degrees. POwder she is a fickle mistress.

Orange peel,your powder may be to thick, your ground not good, kvs not right, air not right etc, etc......

Comment

Just as there is an undercure condition, there is an overcure condition as well. 450 for 20 min is well over temp and time. That will cause the powder to be brittle.

Comment

[quote

When you say 20oz flat? are you talking spray can? Liquid paint is easier to get less orange peel, liquid or powder you still cant see the orange peel in the flat colors.[/quote]

the other place i buy from sells in oz's. its still powder though. i just buy like 100 ounces for like $25

Comment

ok ok ok.. im sorry. its high temp powder. it states 450 degrees for 10 min. i tried to put the substrate in like everyone said. you know, let the part get to 450 and then start my timer. like i said i only have this problem with SS and chrome. i think ima have to just give all my SS and chrome stuff to someone else...thAT sux!!

Comment

Practice makes perfect my man, and I aint perfect, so Im still praticing!

Comment

Working...
                              X