Powder Coating Altenator housing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powder Coating Altenator housing?

I was asked to powder coat a Altenator housing the other day.

He dropped off the parts to me and i just got done cleaning them and about to spray when i get a knock on my door..

The customer said he talked with some people and you arnt sposta powder coat Altenator housings unless they are on show cars because they wont transfer the heat of the engine properly.

Any truth to this or will it be ok?

Re: Powder Coating Altenator housing?

It is a rumor that powder coating will hold heat like crazy, or more so than paint. Now powder will insulate, or hold the heat in more than bare metal, but the heat transfer with powder is nearly identical to that of liquid paint.

Is it really going to hurt anything? I really doubt it - lots of aftermarket alternator manufacturers sell their alternators powder coated. But hard core drag racers will coat their alternators with coatings that transfer the heat out at a high rate and supposedly gain horsepower, but for them every 1/100 of a second counts.

Comment

I have heard that it is not a good idea to coat them in metallic colors because the metallic can ground the internals out. I have not heard about any concern as far as heat goes. Most electic motors (such as A/C in your home) now come powdercoated from the manufacturer and totally sealed to prevent moisture from entering the motor. Now with an alternator being vented I would see no concern with coating it.
      Ryan
      http://www.powdercoatingbyryan.com

Comment

Originally posted by XaboveX112

He dropped off the parts to me and i just got done cleaning them and about to spray when i get a knock on my door..

The customer said he talked with some people and you arnt sposta powder coat Altenator housings unless they are on show cars because they wont transfer the heat of the engine properly.

I did one for a 1500HP turbo mustang, 0 problems and its been 2 years going strong. this was done in extreme chrome. Make sure you tape it up good internally and no problems should arise.
        http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a3...60garfield.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by JHForman

I did one for a 1500HP turbo mustang, 0 problems and its been 2 years going strong. this was done in extreme chrome. Make sure you tape it up good internally and no problems should arise.

what exactly do you mean by tape it up internally?

Comment

I can understand taping the machined areas inside the housing, but surely you don't mean taping off the whole inside of the housing?

Comment

I taped this up on the insid under the fins, basically i completely sealed the inside of this one up before shooting it. It kept all the powder out of it. I know its not the prettiest but hey we all gotta start somewhere this was one of my first parts i ever did.

Comment

Originally posted by BeeBob
                I can understand taping the machined areas inside the housing, but surely you don't mean taping off the whole inside of the housing?
                No I really did tape up the whole inside of this thing. This car is a serious car, and it cant have anything fail. So he and I both agreed that taping the whole thing up internally was the best solution. 2 years and still going strong.

Comment

No I really did tape up the whole inside of this thing. This car is a serious car, and it cant have anything fail. So he and I both agreed that taping the whole thing up internally was the best solution. 2 years and still going strong.

Knowing what i know about altenators even coating the inside will be fine as long as you dont do the mating rings, grounding ports, and bearing locations.... Basically all the machined surfaces, but i dont see the need to tape the inside

Comment

Knowing what i know about altenators even coating the inside will be fine as long as you dont do the mating rings, grounding ports, and bearing locations.... Basically all the machined surfaces, but i dont see the need to tape the inside
                    I was new at the time they are no long done this way. That is the only picture I have of one I did. I now only tape up the machined surface, the bearing or bushing, the grounds and spray it.

Comment

Re: Powder Coating Alternator housing?

We mask the entire inside also.
                      takes 5 extra minutes, and if the alternator fails there is no way someone rebuilding it can say "there whats wrong... they coated the inside of the case"

think your client is going to believe the "alt repair god that says your coating made it fail", or the coater who "doesn't want to fix a problem" that isn't really theirs?

also if it the case gets opened up they will say what a nice mask job you did, with no over spray

I like to prepare for the worst, and hope for the best
                      Josh

http://www.Streetwerkz.com
                      http://www.facebook.com/reqs.php#/pr...00000211105322
                      [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Streetwerkz
                        We mask the entire inside also.
                        takes 5 extra minutes, and if the alternator fails there is no way someone rebuilding it can say "there whats wrong... they coated the inside of the case"

think your client is going to believe the "alt repair god that says your coating made it fail", or the coater who "doesn't want to fix a problem" that isn't really theirs?

also if it the case gets opened up they will say what a nice mask job you did, with no over spray

I like to prepare for the worst, and hope for the best

if i mask off the inside of the vents do i have to worry about powder build up when spraying the outside?? Also should i peal off the high temp masking tape before i bake?

Comment

if i mask off the inside of the vents do i have to worry about powder build up when spraying the outside?? Also should i peal off the high temp masking tape before i bake?
                          if it's a powder that does not flow like crazy I may leave the masking.
                          50/50 on flubbing it un masking while uncured, however if it flows like crazy, and will build I may remove masking be for curing
                          Josh

http://www.Streetwerkz.com
                          http://www.facebook.com/reqs.php#/pr...00000211105322
                          [email protected]

Comment

Finially got around to shooting that Altenator Housing this weekend... Came out great the customer was really happy, not to mention after he rebuilt it he took it in and got it tested and passed LOL ... almost no overspray on the inside of the housing however there was a TON of taping

Ill try and post some pictures tomarrow i forgot to grab my camera on my way to work... Thanks though for the advice both me and my customer appreciate it

Comment

i only tape up the bearing surfaces and plug the threaded holes, no issues yet

CHRIS
                              Craved Coatings - Australia

Comment

Working...
                              X