Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clearcoating

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Clearcoating

    Do you guys normally clearcoat everything, no matter what color? Does it make it more durable or just make it shine a little more? I sprayed some on a piece that I did in Silver vein, turned out nice. Just wondering when a guy needs to use it and not use it. I also tried some PC liquiguard because I was having trouble with orange peel, and that also took care of the problem I was having. Thanks

  • #2
    Re: Clearcoating

    99.9 % of Metallics should be clear coated! Otherwise they will oxidize...clear coating also assists in additional mar protection

    Comment


    • #3
      Re: Clearcoating

      Originally posted by THEKING
      99.9 % of Metallics should be clear coated! Otherwise they will oxidize...clear coating also assists in additional mar protection
      Good info right there....

      Comment


      • #4
        Re: Clearcoating

        What about clears with a metal flake additive? Should those be gone over again with a normal clear?

        Comment


        • #5
          Re: Clearcoating

          You shouldn't have to since they are a clear.
          Dan
          sigpic

          I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, and too old to take an ass-whoopin'!

          Comment


          • #6
            Re: Clearcoating

            Wise is correct, the particle size or micron is smaller in a clear coat. The additive is heavier which allows the metal flake additive to lay down underneath the coating. This doesn’t apply if you add too much metal flake though, by adding to much the flake starts to build up on each other and will stick through the surface.

            Comment


            • #7
              Re: Clearcoating

              Originally posted by caseywan
              What about clears with a metal flake additive? Should those be gone over again with a normal clear?
              Again...no there clear coat is your protection and the metal flakes are encapsulated by the polyester

              Comment


              • #8
                Re: Clearcoating

                Thanks for the replies

                Comment


                • #9
                  Re: Clearcoating

                  Originally posted by powderbuy
                  Wise is correct, the particle size or micron is smaller in a clear coat. The additive is heavier which allows the metal flake additive to lay down underneath the coating. This doesn’t apply if you add too much metal flake though, by adding to much the flake starts to build up on each other and will stick through the surface.

                  Ok thanks! But any other kind of powder that has metallic in it, i.e. silver sparkle, or other powders under your "metallic" category, should be cleared right?

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Re: Clearcoating

                    Yes, unless they are the FlipFlops! Mirror Silver Sparkle does not require a clearcoat as well (per the manufacturer) but this means that there is very little metallic in the product and the metallic has been encapsulated by the polyester. You can always call or email for more specific information.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X