No announcement yet.

Building a Powder Booth. Show me yours!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Building a Powder Booth. Show me yours!

I tried doing a search but words like "powder, booth, and build" are too common.

I have seen a few pictures of booths but none of them give a really good idea of how every booth works, specifically the ventilation. I'm looking for 360 pictures or sketches to get an idea of everything really works.

Main concern is having enough room to work inside what usually appears to be a small box. Also, what about covering other sides when the substrate is always facing the same direction and I can't walk around it?

I'm looking to build something this weekend. I want a tall booth I can work with comfortably and roll into a corner when not in use. Any advice is greatly appreciated...

Juan

Re: Building a Powder Booth. Show me yours!

Originally posted by Harleydad
    As far as moving around the part, hang it from a swivel.
    http://www.argonmasking.com/hooks/swivel_wheels.htm
    That's what I had in mind and I think they are available through a local supplier. This may sound retarded but I'm just not sure how exactly I will spin the part... just grab the wheel and spin it?

Comment

Yup. Grab the wheel and spin. Those swivels are a lifesaver, especially on heavy stuff.
      Dan
      sigpic

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, and too old to take an ass-whoopin'!

Comment

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=923

My small one^

Need help building one call me. I would post but I am short of time.

Comment

Perfect! Thanks guys... I just never held one of those swivels in my hand so I didn't know how they will actually rotate especially with some weight hanging on them.

What about air? I see a lot of people using 20" fans with AC filters on them. This seems like the most cost effective way... Any suggestions?

Comment

Originally posted by Powder_Coating_Pros
            http://www.powderbuythepound.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=923

My small one^

Need help building one call me. I would post but I am short of time.
            Yours is what actually got me thinking about building one. You might be getting a call this weekend as I attempt to build something.

Comment

I'm also very interested in seeing how the rack portion is built, especially with the added swivel...

Comment

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=430&p=4538&hilit=any+pics+of+s pray+booths#p4538

Linc to mine. I used a 20 inch box fan mounted under for a down draft booth. It uses 2 25x20x1 filters stacked. Works for what I need.

You could build something like it on wheels at whatever hieght you wanted.

Comment

Thanks for sharing Randy... that's pretty much the route I'm trying to go with. Depending on how well the fan works I might consider a design with 2 walls and a ceiling and floor, instead of 3 walls... in order to minimize spinning the parts around. I gotta see how fancy I want to get with wiring (lights, fan, pc box) and air lines for the gun...

Comment

Here's my dirty arse booth. I took this after it's virgin session.
                    Click me

Nothing special - 2x4 construction & prefinished paneling. The panels were only $11 a sheet and don't need paint! They clean up real nice. Stand 7' tall - 48" wide and 36" deep. I have casters for it but have to trim the legs a bit so the thing ain't too tall. I built it using standard sizes so I could do as little cutting as possible. Also the 4' width is great to get my shoulder and body in there without struggling. I aslo built this with growth in mind. I don't want to have to build another anytime soon. I also have a stainless grated shelf that fits in perfectly once I hang some brackets.
                    I'm using a box fan with 2 filters. Works pretty good but not perfect. I'm looking for a ventilation fan to use instead with it exiting outside the shop. I just don't know what type of fan to look for - - - - **Hint** ----**need help with this***

Comment

I used a TP tools 1hp dust collector. I still have it and could sell it.....

Comment

You could wire it all to a junction box mounted right to the booth with a long pigtail one wire to plug in then. Make one side with hinges to open if you need to get behind the object( on a swivel hook you won't need to get behind). The light can be just a flourescent fixture in the top of cabinet.

If you can dream it up you can build it or get ideas here on how to build it

Comment

^^^ That's exactly it though... I keep coming up with more ideas by the minute and I have a feeling by the time I'm done I will end up with a freaking space ship... I just can't help with geek within.

Comment

Well if you figure out an autopilot for it let us all know.

Comment

I just put the metal pipe through my swivel hook end. It has a big loop on the opposite side of the hook. Works good for me.

Comment

Working...
                              X