Announcement

Collapse

Our YouTube Channel - Revamped!

Our YouTube channel has been updated and revamped! Check it out and subscribe so you don't miss out! We upload at least twice a week!
https://www.youtube.com/powdercoat101
See more
See less

Powder coating a shotgun barrel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Powder coating a shotgun barrel

I have a customer asking about PC'ing a shotgun barrel. Aside from ensureing it does not get into or on the very end of the barrel, is there any reason this should not be done? It sounds like an 18" riot/home defense gun.

Re: Powder coating a shotgun barrel

I've done a few, other than masking being a little tedious, no problem.
    I wouldn't worry about powder getting in the end of a shot gun barrel, the shot will remove any over spray
    Josh

http://www.Streetwerkz.com
    http://www.facebook.com/reqs.php#/pr...00000211105322
    info@Streetwerkz.com

Comment

there are no problems with the powder although there are special gun ceramic coatings that look quite nice.

Comment

Originally posted by nomoreusmc
        there are no problems with the powder although there are special gun ceramic coatings that look quite nice.
        you mean, like this:

NIC graphite black 870 police

NIC coyote tan M4

http://www.prostreetcoatings.com

Comment

Fill me in on these gun ceramics! Do they spray and bake like normal powder or are they a high heat cure? Where can I look at them?

And can I just media blas the outside and go, what about the factory blueing, and special prep on gun barrels because of blueing?

Comment

Originally posted by Prostreet
            Originally posted by nomoreusmc
            you mean, like this:

NIC graphite black 870 police

NIC coyote tan M4

Yes exactly like that! That's what I was talking about from NIC, the have cool IR reflective technology in some of them too. Crazy stuff

Comment

Originally posted by luv2fly
              Fill me in on these gun ceramics! Do they spray and bake like normal powder or are they a high heat cure? Where can I look at them?

And can I just media blas the outside and go, what about the factory blueing, and special prep on gun barrels because of blueing?
              Just to clarify, these coatings are liquid ceramic, not powder.
              Dan
              sigpic

I carry a gun because I'm too young to die, and too old to take an ass-whoopin'!

Comment

yep, liquid coatings, pretty much like spraying automotive paint. very expensive though...

direct to metal application, so all parts have to be sandblasted (blueing and all) with 120grit Al oxide. then you follow all manufacturer recommandations.

yes you have to mask barrel ends but you can almost spray anything else as it goes very thin...
                http://www.prostreetcoatings.com

Comment

Can powder go over blueing?

Comment

I had a bad experience with the blueing messing up the powder.

I didn't realize how penetrating the blueing was, make sure to blast very well
                    similar to removing anodizing
                    Josh

info@Streetwerkz.com

Comment

Originally posted by Streetwerkz

But I thought anodizing was ok under powder? It always works ok with powder for me? Or are you talking about ceramic and anodizing?

Now to my real question. I want to powder coat my old 20 ga single and was wondering about the springs in the receiver and how well they would handle heat? I really don't want to take it completely apart and then try to put it back together The spring on the barrel is already out because of a broken part that I had to replace so no problem there and will not be shooting powder in that area and also want be shooting powder in the receiver area where the trigger and springs are either.
                      Now I do have some air dry ceramic I could also use but with auto type it will never see the heat and might not hold up if my old gun was put back into real hunting use again? Do the gun ceramics have to be heated in any way or are they air dry? (yea I know I could look it up but what the hell, I will just ask )

Comment

Originally posted by duke 46

But I thought anodizing was ok under powder? It always works ok with powder for me? Or are you talking about ceramic and anodizing?

Now to my real question. I want to powder coat my old 20 ga single and was wondering about the springs in the receiver and how well they would handle heat? I really don't want to take it completely apart and then try to put it back together The spring on the barrel is already out because of a broken part that I had to replace so no problem there and will not be shooting powder in that area and also want be shooting powder in the receiver area where the trigger and springs are either.
                        Now I do have some air dry ceramic I could also use but with auto type it will never see the heat and might not hold up if my old gun was put back into real hunting use again? Do the gun ceramics have to be heated in any way or are they air dry? (yea I know I could look it up but what the hell, I will just ask )
                        both either way you want it

Comment

I meant it seems that the blueing penetrated the metal, and out gassed when I cured it
                          Josh

info@Streetwerkz.com

Comment

I meant it seems that the blueing penetrated the metal, and out gassed when I cured it
                            Did you outgas before PCing?

Could the blueing be chemically stripped before PC?

Comment

Originally posted by luv2fly
                              Did you outgas before PCing?

Could the blueing be chemically stripped before PC?

Blueing will blast off. I would never want to chem strip any thing unless it was powder maybe but stripping does cause stuff to flash rust and some parts you might not be coating and want to leave it as is if possible.

Comment

Working...
                              X