Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coating Alloys?!

Hi all,

Having a bit of a dilemma here with the masking of alloys before coating.

I am currently using tape which is cut by hand for coating, this is however a timely process which is also becoming more and more costly as I begin to coat and take on more alloy projects. This has led me to looking for a solution to reduce time and costs, however I am struggling to find something which is perfect.

I have found these 'wheel discs' (see link) from a company called Vital Parts but am skeptical as to whether or not there is an alternate solution.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Our Alloy Wheel masking discs are a stick on masking solution for alloy wheels and have been specifically designed for covering and coating purposes.

Many times when I have this come up, we are using silicon plugs that can withstand cure temperatures. They are reusable and have a pretty long lifespan. Otherwise, it's the good old green heat resistant tape, which can be bought in rolls and trimmed manually or in disk sizes as well. All of these we buy from EPSI. If you're an at home powder coater, it may not be reasonable to invest in the quantities that get you the decent prices. As a powder coating company, we have people come in often to just buy from us what they need. We charge twice as much as what we pay, but even so, it's much cheaper than buying excess inventory the you don't need. (And we get the volume discounts!) If you have a coating company nearby, usually they're happy to sell a bit of their masking stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Powdershopprincess View Post
      Many times when I have this come up, we are using silicon plugs that can withstand cure temperatures. They are reusable and have a pretty long lifespan. Otherwise, it's the good old green heat resistant tape, which can be bought in rolls and trimmed manually or in disk sizes as well. All of these we buy from EPSI. If you're an at home powder coater, it may not be reasonable to invest in the quantities that get you the decent prices. As a powder coating company, we have people come in often to just buy from us what they need. We charge twice as much as what we pay, but even so, it's much cheaper than buying excess inventory the you don't need. (And we get the volume discounts!) If you have a coating company nearby, usually they're happy to sell a bit of their masking stuff.
      Thank you for the advice!

I tend to use the green tape as well as it does work out pretty cheap however I feel like im getting though more and more of the stuff nowadays which has led me to find more efficient processes. I have had a sample of these masking discs and they make things so much easier, however when used in conjunction with plugs and caps, it can still be time consuming.

I used to use EPSI but I was fed up of having to pay over the odds for one off projects.

Comment

Working...
      X