Suggestions for Ariens Orange - Update - Match Found

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestions for Ariens Orange - Update - Match Found

I did a search, and sure enough, I found a previous post from 2008 about this very same orange. The trouble is, all that was mentioned as being a close match was some sort of Nissan Orange. Well, I see no such critter anywhere, so that's a dead end.

I know that Ariens uses powder supplied by Valspar in their production facilities, but that doesn't get me any closer to a colour match, since Valspar can't or won't tell me if there is maybe some other standard colour that is the same thing, i.e., RAL, etc.. (My guess is they don't know and don't care, and I can't say that I blame them.)

Gosh darn it, I wish I knew some big shot at Ariens that I could take out golfing in exchange for a couple of pounds of that special orange powder. Since I don't know any such person, and probably would just accidentally kill him with a golf ball anyway, I guess I'm going to need some help from someone here.

Re: Suggestions for Ariens Orange

Can't you just take a fan of RAL colors to the nearest Ariens dealer and get a good match?

Comment

I just did my Ariens bucket this week-end with Nissan Orange.I used a whole pound for a 32 inch bucket.I ordered a pound a few months ago thinking it would be enough for the whole front end. This is a 1982 model but the newer Ariens have a different orange that is lighter. I will use Chevy orange on the rakes and the remaining small parts. I now know why people just trash their old snowblowers and buy new ones! I have been powdercoating now for four years and with the blasting included this has been the most time consuming jobs I have done so far.

Comment

Originally posted by CPC-3
        Can't you just take a fan of RAL colors to the nearest Ariens dealer and get a good match?
        Well, I wouldn't need to go to a dealer, since I have two Ariens at home, and will probably be adding a third before too long. The problem is that I don't trust colour samples unless they are actual real samples of the actual powder. Compare a Tiger colour to the sample in their charts some day, and you'll see how far off they can be. I got lucky the first time I tried that, because I thought I was only getting close to the colour I needed, but in fact got exactly the colour I needed. Logic dictates that it can go the other way, too. If I had to go from a colour chart, I'd say RAL 2003 looks close. Hell, I guess I could probably get by with just using it and calling it close enough, but I figured it was worth a shot to see if anyone happened to already know of a good match.

Originally posted by powdersparky
        I just did my Ariens bucket this week-end with Nissan Orange.I used a whole pound for a 32 inch bucket.I ordered a pound a few months ago thinking it would be enough for the whole front end. This is a 1982 model but the newer Ariens have a different orange that is lighter. I will use Chevy orange on the rakes and the remaining small parts. I now know why people just trash their old snowblowers and buy new ones! I have been powdercoating now for four years and with the blasting included this has been the most time consuming jobs I have done so far.
        I know that darker orange you're talking about. (In a past life, I managed an outdoor power equipment sales and service place, and we dealt Primarily with Ariens.) I think that orange changed at some point in the mid 80's. I have a good ol' 2-cycle Pro Ariens walk-behind 911 series mower from 1986 that is the lighter colour, and interestingly enough, it seems to be powder coated. Ariens makes darn good stuff. The only people that trash them and buy new are the folks that are at the mercy of repair shops. Heck, mine saw commercial duty for 20 whole years of its life, and it still works pretty well despite the tread being almost completely worn off of the wheels. We used to take in ten and fifteen year old models a few times a year that had bad motors, and when the customers didn't want to drop $250 on a replacement motor, they'd forfeit the mower in lieu of paying the $15 inspection fee. After that, we'd drop on a new motor and sell them for 2/3 the cost of a new one, and they sold FAST too.

So, where did you get that Nissan Orange, and is it closer to the darker or the lighter Ariens colour?

Comment

Now that a match has been found, I thought I would update the thread. It's hard telling if anyone will ever need this information, but you never really know.

It's closer to the right colour when you consider the original part in the photo has been laying outside in the weather for years, and has faded a bit. The sample matches some unexposed parts of the Ariens mower closer, but I had no luck photographing those.

That's RAL 2002 from NIC.

Comment

Working...
          X