Misc pieces, pricing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Misc pieces, pricing

have a customere bringing me some misc car trim pieces. He said some interior pieces, and something about the honeycomb pieces that go just adove the tail lights on a Torino.

I know pics would make it easier, but generally speaking how do you price parts like this.

Would they fall into the sm, med, large bracket prices?

I believe all parts are to coated gloss black.

I'm not worried about pricing guys. I can figure it out. But the next question, How can I coat this piece and keep the letters chrome? They are riveted on and can't be removed. He did however that it OK to just leep the top or faces of the letters chrome and the sides are OK to be coated. But I'd like to keep original.

Mark
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mark C.; 02-01-2012, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mark C. View Post
      I'm not worried about pricing guys. I can figure it out. But the next question, How can I coat this piece and keep the letters chrome? They are riveted on and can't be removed. He did however that it OK to just leep the top or faces of the letters chrome and the sides are OK to be coated. But I'd like to keep original.

Mark
      Shoot the powder, finger wipe the letters clear of powder..... Pretty simple really. (Don't forget to wet your finger, and don't re-wet your finger til you wipe the first round of powder off.... Tastes terrible.... no matter how much you like the smell of powder , like me, it never tastes good..... never.)

Comment

Originally posted by SCOTTRODS View Post
        Shoot the powder, finger wipe the letters clear of powder..... Pretty simple really. (Don't forget to wet your finger, and don't re-wet your finger til you wipe the first round of powder off.... Tastes terrible.... no matter how much you like the smell of powder , like me, it never tastes good..... never.)
        I beg to differ good sir, Granny Sparkle Smith and the jollipops taste pretty good! lmao

Comment

Pertaining to the chrome letters. What course of action should I take when blasting or removing the factory paint?

I figure that if I tape off the top of the letters only, the tape won't hold up to blasting. I could turn the air down, but may not take the paint off? Or I could use the stripper I have (aircraft stripper) and strip the paint off, then turn the air down to profile the part. But does the stripper affect factory chrome?

Your thoughts?

Comment

Triple up the layers of tape. The high temp tape when layered can withstand a minute or two before the media eats through it, as long as you dont go over the exact area of the lettering, you should be fine.

Comment

Ok, Justin sounds like a plan.

Comment

a couple of approches I use blasting with this type of situation: 1) use a double layer of a good quality duct tape, cut edges and go a little wider than the letter outline, about 1/8th of one inch or so, trim with and xacto knive down the side of the letter. Just dont hit the face of the tape with your media. The area closest to the letter that may still have paint on it you can then use a fine artists' paintbrush to apply a stripper and manually remove what's left. You'll likely need to clean up the face of the letter with acetone or laquer thinner to remove the tape goo. 2) I've also had some success using aluminum tape (used for HVAC systems to tape ductwork seams). This will not hold up as well to blasting but with lower pressure it does work. 3) Lastly, I made an adapter of sorts for my ceramic nozzle in my blast cabinet. 1/2 inch copper pipe about 2 inches long that I "creatively" sweated down to a 1/4 inch outlet (the kind you'd use for a refrigerator water line) to achieve a very fine spray pattern. This allows me to hit a very specific area. Not a great solution though---copper wears out super fast. To get the 1/2" to seal to the nozzle and the smaller 1/4 inch copper I found some rubber grommets at a local hardware store. I also cut a longer piece (8") of 1/4" that allowed me to reach into the bottom of exhaust manifold smog port. Just some ideas for you. Good luck!
                Tom

Comment

Thanks for the info Tom. I was thinking of trying the paint brush and stripper idea you mentioned.

I was going to cover the whole letters and blast. Then go back and do the brush method. Go back and touch up (blast) with low pressure.

Again Thanks
                  Mark

Comment

Well I finished the trim pieces. I priced them by the linear foot instead of by the piece. What way do you guys usually use. I know I asked this before, but please forgive me. It's buggin' me.

Or whatever works the best/easiest?

Just curious. By the foot seemed to work for me.
                    Attached Files

Comment

I always quote my customer on a hourly basis and materials used (powder). Works out well.

Comment

Working...
                      X