Hey Everyone

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hey Everyone

Hi, I joined a bit ago and posted a question, but I noticed there wasnt a lot of activity on this forum.

Hopefully I will be able to get some advice in the future

A little about me, I started powder coating about 6 months ago, started with a hobby Eastwood gun, then stepped up to the Columbia Coatingts Hyper Smooth 02, got a retrofitted restaurant oven as well.

Things have been going pretty decent, I am fighting a orange peel problem currently though, mainly on wheels. :0

I saw (multiple times) from someone (no longer member of forum) that you set the oven to 15 degrees less than the cure temp, but leave it in longer, this is so that the curing is slowed, but the flow/crosshatch are able to do their thing. Is this true? Ive done everything from not enough powder, medium, and too much powder, all with the same result, except for not enough, then it feels grainy lolol.

Here is our our Instagram to show off some of our work:
    https://www.instagram.com/jarcustomsllc/

Im always looking to improve, any and all help is appreciated.

Hey! Welcome to the forum, we are glad to have you here. Orange peel is usually from a high oven temperature and a short curing time, or KV settings. So I would definitely try and lower the temp and raise the cure time. If that doesn't work, I'd check your KV settings as well. Hope this helps.

Comment

Thanks! I usually have the oven on high to help it part temp to 400 degrees faster, is that actually hindering me? Ive read to put it in at 250 (pre heat), then once it melts, put it at like 380-400, then whenever the part is at 380-400, start a timer for 10-15 minutes depending on what temp the part is at? Am I on the right path?

I can do smaller items no issues, and I would even cake it on, and no peels, but on wheels, its like a mixed bag

Ill try 40 KV as well...

Comment

Working...
      X